A minor is an officially recognized secondary concentration of study in an approved subject area outside of the major, consisting of at least 15 credits of appropriate course work. It is generally very feasible to pursue a minor.

A minor may not inherently overlap with the student's major (e.g., a History major may not declare a History minor, even if the student takes additional History credits beyond what is required for the major). Each minor application will be reviewed to ensure that the student will be able to complete a minimum of 6 credits of coursework exclusive to the minor that will not count toward the major. Students may not complete a minor and certificate in the same area (e.g., Latin American Studies or Teaching English as a Second Language). Approval to pursue a minor does not guarantee the student will be granted the minor upon graduation. To have the minor certified upon graduation the student must complete at least 6 credits exclusive to the minor without overlap with the student's major(s) or other minors.

Review this list of majors/minors that will not be approved due to overlap.

Minors available at UF

There are over 100 minors available at UF.

Eligibility - Students must

General Guidelines

  • When considering a minor, take a couple of introductory courses in the area first before applying.
  • Try to take a couple of courses in disciplines you are unfamiliar with - you might discover an area of interest this way. Read course descriptions, search the UF website for syllabi, and contact the department that offers the minor.
  • The goal of a minor is to complement your major, and to provide for a more well-rounded experience. Try to branch out - for example, many CLAS students minor in Business Administration. If you are majoring in a Humanities, such as English or History, consider pursuing in a minor in another area (such as a Social & Behavioral Science, or a math/science related minor).
  • How to apply

    Students can bring a completed minor application form to the Academic Advising Center and have it reviewed by an advisor. If applying to a minor offered by another College, approval will also need to be obtained from the respective College or department after obtaining approval from the AAC.

    Once the student has obtained all necessary approvals, the form needs to be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar, located at 222 Criser Hall (2nd Floor).

    Attention Spanish minor applicants: Before obtaining AAC approval, you will need to have the Undergraduate Coordinator for Spanish sign the form.

    Microbiology majors applying for the Chemistry minor will need to have a Chemistry advisor sign the form prior to AAC approval.

    Minor Requirements

    The specific requirements for each minor can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog. In addition, CLAS requires that all minor courses must be complete with a grade of C or better. At least three courses (none can be individual work) of no fewer than three credits each must be at the 3000 level or above. Of the total credits, no more than three may be individual work.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    As a CLAS student, am I only allowed to pursue a minor if it's offered by CLAS?
    No, you are eligible to pursue any minor offered by CLAS or another College, as long as you meet the requirements.

    How many minors am I allowed to pursue?
    You are allowed to obtain up to three minors.

    How will the minor appear on my records?
    If you are certified as completing the minor, and you had it on file with the Office of the University Registrar, the minor will be noted on your official transcript. Minors do not appear on your audit, or on your diploma.

    Will courses for the minor satisfy the CLAS 3000-level elective requirement?
    If the courses for the minor are at the 3000-level or above, the courses will also go towards the elective requirement, except as otherwise noted in the Undergraduate Catalog.

    Are there certain restrictions on minors I'm eligible to pursue, depending on my major?
    Yes; CLAS does not permit certain major/minor combinations that have an extensive amount of overlap, since the purpose of a minor is to pursue an outside concentration. You can visit with an academic advisor and view the chart below for restrictions.

    Can I cancel a minor after I've been approved?
    You may cancel a minor by submitting the same minor application form you used to add one, but instead checking the minor cancellation check box on the form. You don't need to obtain any approvals to cancel a minor: submit the form with your signature to the Office of the University Registrar.

    Commonly requested Major/Minor combinations that are not permitted (this list is not all-inclusive, consult with an AAC advisor to verify that your intended major/minor combination is acceptable).

    Minor Major
    American Indian & Indigenous StudiesAnthropology, History
    Asian StudiesEast Asian Languages
    BotanyBiology, Entomology, Wildlife Ecology and Conservation
    ChemistryBiotechnology track in Biology
    Chemical Engineering
    GeographyEnvironmental Geosciences track in either Geography or Geology
    GeologyEnvironmental Geosciences track in either Geography or Geology
    HebrewJewish Studies
    Theories and Policies of SexualityWomen's Studies
    ZoologyBiology, Entomology, Food Science Human Nutrition, Microbiology, Natural Resource Conservation, Wildlife Ecology

    CLAS Navigation

    Academic Advising Center
    Farrior Hall
    100 Fletcher Drive
    PO Box 112015
    Gainesville, FL 32611-2015
    Phone: 352-392-1521
    Fax: 352-392-2905

    Email A Question