Participating in experiential learning opportunities such as shadowing, is central to student development for admission to healthcare professional schools. This type of involvement helps to develop personal and professional competencies in preparation for lifelong service to others.
Shadowing allows students to increase knowledge regarding healthcare professions, understanding the patient/family experience and gaining self-knowledge and awareness for fit for profession. These experiences provide an opportunity to demonstrating competencies in Interpersonal, intrapersonal, thinking/reasoning, and science competencies as is desired by professional schools.
- Beyond 120 assists in placing students, with alumni in healthcare professions for shadowing experience.
- Once a student is approved for a shadowing experience, students contact the assigned professional and make arrangements for completing the experience.
- Students provide their own housing, transportation, living needs and any other personal expenses.
- Students must be able to commit a minimum of one full week or the time agreed upon when approved for shadowing.
- After completion of the shadowing experience, student will provide Beyond 120 with headshot and a reflection of experience containing information regarding what was learned about the profession, the patient/family experience and professional development.
- One full week of shadowing will earn 3 points towards the requirement for the Experiential Scholars Program.
Selection priority will be given to students:
- In the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS).
- Sophomore level or above
Completed and passed IDS1XXX Introduction to the Pre-Health Process course.
- UF GPA of 3.0 or above.
- HIPAA certified.
- Submit a completed application.
Include a copy of your HIPAA certification.
- Complete an interview with Beyond 120 faculty.
- Complete and sign legal waiver per the Beyond 120 requirement.
- Once approved, contact provider to arrange final details regarding schedule.
- Upon completion of the shadowing experience submit the Reflection Form and a 2×2 inch headshot.