The Academic Advising Center’s Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ (CLAS) Academic Advising Center (AAC) subscribes to the professional guidelines promoted by the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education for academic advising programs.
Within the UF community more specifically, the CLAS AAC upholds UF’s core values by striving to foster an environment that is inclusive and responsive to its diverse student populations. Our mission is to provide services that:
- recognize and appreciate the individual differences of students,
- empower and inform students so they may explore options among the broad range of CLAS programs and identify those that match their interests and strengths,
- encourage students to make well-intentioned and strategic decisions, and
- maximize personal outcomes and successes in a student’s undergraduate experience through targeted programming and connections to curricular and co-curricular opportunities.
We are committed to cultivating a welcoming and accessible space in the AAC by:
- creating an office culture and climate that are free from negative bias and harassment, where faculty and staff feel valued and respected and that also promote ongoing professional development to cultivate these competencies,
- offering services, opportunities for engagement, and messaging that promote the growth and retention of students including, but not limited to, those from underrepresented populations, nontraditional pathways, economically disadvantaged backgrounds, and first-generation status,
- engaging in outreach and recruitment efforts to augment the diversity of students seeking admission to CLAS, and
- connecting prospective, incoming, and current students with our services.
Learning from the diverse perspectives that make up our community is an ongoing process, and we’re committed to engaging in the work.
Virtual Suggestion Box
Let us know how we’re doing. Please submit anonymous questions, comments, or suggestions about diversity and inclusion to the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.