Certifications are a way to show employers your dedication to the field and your skill set in a particular area. Some certifications are free, while others charge a fee. Below is a list of example certifications that you can pursue as an undergraduate student.
What are certifications and why might they be relevant to me?
Gain knowledge. Certifications are a way to gain knowledge in a specific area or program. Even if you don’t think a certification may be relevant to your major, it can always be helpful to expand your skillset into a new and unique area.
Strengthen Your Resume. Looking for an extra credential to strengthen your resume? Taking classes to earn certifications can make you stand out as a young professional. These certifications can signal your willingness to go beyond what’s required for a job and your passion for becoming a competitive applicant.
Make Connections. Depending on the program, many software companies offer conferences, live classes, or other ways of networking. Earning a certification can open the door for you to make professional connections and expand your network.
What other certifications exist that I can investigate on my own?
The list below is only a small portion of the available certifications. We suggest searching for certifications through professional organizations, websites, or the department at UF that houses your major. Students often are able to earn certifications at a discounted rate, so we encourage you to explore!
If you have questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I earn credit for certifications?
While we are unable to award credit for certifications, we do award 3 points for each certification through our experiential scholars program.
There are some classes at UF and other colleges that offer certifications as part of the course. Check out the UF course catalog for more details.
For complete information about these $95.00 certificates, see the Adobe Certified Professional site.
- Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) After Effects: Complete an exam to show your knowledge and skill with this motion graphics and visual effects software to earn this certificate.
- ACA Animate: Complete an exam to show your knowledge and skill with this motion graphics and visual effects software to earn this certificate.
- ACA Dreamweaver: Complete an exam to show your knowledge and skill with creating and editing HTML rich websites and mobile apps to earn this certificate.
- ACA Illustrator: Complete an exam to show your knowledge and skill with creating scalable graphics to earn this certificate.
- ACA InDesign: Complete an exam to show your knowledge and skill with creating print and digital page layouts to earn this certificate.
- ACA Photoshop: Complete an exam to show your knowledge and skill with this image editing software to earn this certificate.
- ACA Premiere Pro: Complete an exam to show your knowledge and skill with producing and editing productions to earn this certificate.
For complete information about these certificates, see the Coursera site.
- Google IT Support:This 5-course certificate, developed by Google, includes innovative curriculum designed to prepare you for an entry-level role in IT support. A job in IT can mean in-person or remote help desk work in a small business or at a global company like Google. The program is part of Grow with Google, a Google initiative to help create economic opportunity for all.
- Google IT Automation with Python This program builds on your IT foundations to help you take your career to the next level. It’s designed to teach you how to program with Python and how to use Python to automate common system administration tasks. You’ll also learn to use Git and GitHub, troubleshoot and debug complex problems, and apply automation at scale by using configuration management and the Cloud.
- DeepLearning.AI TensorFlow Developer In this hands-on, four-course Professional Certificate program, you’ll learn the necessary tools to build scalable AI-powered applications with TensorFlow. After finishing this program, you’ll be able to apply your new TensorFlow skills to a wide range of problems and projects. This program can help you prepare for the Google TensorFlow Certificate exam and bring you one step closer to achieving the Google TensorFlow Certificate.
- Data Engineering with Google Cloud 87% of Google Cloud certified users feel more confident in their cloud skills.1 This program provides the skills you need to advance your career as a data engineer and provides training to support your preparation for the industry-recognized Google Cloud Professional Data Engineer certification.
- Cloud Engineering with Google Cloud 87% of Google Cloud certified users feel more confident in their cloud skills.2 This program provides the skills you need to advance your career as a cloud engineer and provides training to support your preparation for the industry-recognized Google Cloud Associate Cloud Engineer certification.
- Cloud Architecture with Google Cloud This program provides the skills you need to advance your career as a professional cloud architect and supports your preparation for the industry-recognized Google Cloud Professional Cloud Architect certification. You’ll have the opportunity to deploy solution elements, including infrastructure components such as networks, systems and applications services, and you’ll gain real world experience through a number of hands-on Qwiklabs projects.
- SRE and DevOps Engineer with Google Cloud You’ll also have the opportunity to practice key job skills using Google Cloud to build software delivery pipelines, deploy and monitor services, and manage and learn from incidents. You will learn to apply SRE principles to a service, techniques for monitoring, troubleshooting, and improving infrastructure and application performance among other things.
- Certified Ethical Emerging Technologist The Certified Ethical Emerging Technologist (CEET) industry validated certification helps professionals draw higher salaries (25% on average) and differentiate themselves from other job candidates.
- Facebook Social Media Marketing After an introduction to digital marketing and the main social media platforms, you’ll learn to establish an online presence, create posts, build a following, and manage your social media accounts. You’ll develop skills in creating and managing advertising campaigns in social media and learn to evaluate the results of your marketing efforts.
For complete information about these free certificates, see freeCodeCamp’s site.
- Responsive Web Design: Complete 7 distinct sections and 5 responsive web design projects in 300 hours to earn a certificate.
- Front End Libraries: Complete 6 distinct sections covering bootstrap and react components and 5 front end libraries projects in 300 hours to earn this certificate.
- Data Visualization: Complete 2 distinct sections covering data visualization and JSON APIs and Ajax and 5 data visualization projects in 300 hours to earn this certificate.
- API and Microservices: Complete 3 distinct sections covering packaging with amp and mongoose and 5 APIs and microservices projects in 300 hours to earn this certificate.
- Information Security and Quality Assurance: Complete 2 distinct sections and 5 information security and quality assurance projects in 300 hours to earn this certificate.
- Google Cloud Certifications: Foundational Certification. The foundational level certification validates broad knowledge of cloud concepts and Google Cloud products, services, tools, features, benefits, and use cases, specifically understanding the capabilities of Google Cloud.
- Skillshop: Access free online training to develop skills for Google workplace tools. Learn at your own pace and get Google product certified along the way.
- Digital Literacy Certification: The IC3 Digital Literacy suite of products includes solutions that range from assessment to certification.
- LinkedIn Learning Subscription: LinkedIn Learning offers over 13,000 training courses covering a variety of subjects. Once you finish a course, you can add it to your LinkedIn page! Free for all UF students, faculty, and staff with valid a Gatorlink account.
- Microsoft Learn IA Skills Challenge: Browse through a number of certifications ranging from intermediate to advanced levels to show your skill with various. $100.00 and up.
- Udemy Certificates: Udemy is designed to assist users with a wide variety of course offerings and certificates. The courses offered through Udemy include design, development, marketing, IT/Software, Business, Photography, Music, Health & Fitness, Office Productivity, etc. Over 130,000 videos are available online and new additions are added each month. Courses start at $14.99.