University of Florida Homepage

Academic Advising Center

Additional Useful Information

Versión en español de Información Útil Adicional

I want to take courses at another institution this summer, can I do so?

You will need your college’s approval to take courses at another institution in the summer. Meet with an advisor to discuss what the college/major allows to be taken elsewhere and what the college’s process is to get courses approved. Generally, if the credits are to be taken at a public institution in Florida you will have to complete a Transient Student Admission Application on the website. There may be additional requirements of your college or the college you wish to attend. If you want to attend a private or out-of-state institution, there will probably be a different process to get advisor approval. Keep in mind the following information regarding transient coursework:

  • Credits taken elsewhere do NOT calculate into the UF GPA. However, there is no single “GPA”. Most departments will calculate a tracking GPA on the grades in the tracking courses, which usually includes courses taken elsewhere. Some colleges will calculate an ‘all-college’ GPA that includes all college work, regardless of where it is taken. Colleges or majors may also calculate an upper-division GPA (grades on courses once you have attained junior status). Finally, you may find graduate and professional schools calculate an all-college GPA or even other GPAs. Here’s the info about the UF GPA.
  • Only courses taken at one of the twelve State University System schools in Florida will meet the Summer Term Enrollment requirement. However, UF will accept approved credit from any accredited institution.
  • Florida Shines

How do I meet the Summer Term Enrollment Requirement?

Students must complete nine credits before graduation during summer terms at State University System institutions. Coursework at UF, UF coursework via the web while in another location, coursework taken at another Florida SUS school, earning UF credit for an internship in Gainesville or another location, or coursework taken via an approved overseas study program all apply to the Summer Requirement. The coursework does not have to be completed in one summer term.

Students who bring 60 or more transfer credits to UF, regardless of institution, will be exempt from completing the summer requirement at UF. Exam credit does not count toward this, only 60 or more credits transferred prior to UF matriculation from an accredited institution.

For overseas study programs, how each program meets the Summer Term requirement varies: Some will meet all 9 credits (even if 6 credits are taken), while some will meet just the number of credits taken. Here’s the official policy: “However, students who earn six credits through UF-sponsored, UF exchange or approved SUS study-abroad programs during one or two summer terms completely satisfy the summer-term enrollment requirement. In addition, credits earned through any of the study-abroad programs approved by UF during a summer term count toward satisfaction of the summer-term enrollment requirement.” (see link above)

How do I qualify for Dean’s List?

Dean’s List requirements are determined by college. See the Undergraduate Catalog for details. If you have questions, contact an advisor in your college/major.

How do I qualify for President’s Honor Roll?

The requirements for President’s Honor Roll appear in the Undergraduate Catalog. You will not receive notification of this honor, however, a remark that you were named to the President’s Honor Roll is posted to your UF transcript around 30 days after grades post for the previous semester.

I’ve received an invitation from an honorary society, what should I consider before joining?

You can always look on the UF Student Organizations Directory to find any student organization. If the society is not an approved UF organization, then be wary. In addition, look to see if it is simply some sort of line for your resume (e.g., you join and get a certificate, that’s it) or if it is an actual organization that has activities, etc. See Tips for Joining a Healthy Organization.

What are “Excess Hours” and how might this impact me?

In 2009, the Florida Legislature implemented Section 1009.286, Florida Statutes to encourage students to complete their baccalaureate degrees as quickly and efficiently as possible. It established what is commonly referred to as the Excess Credit-Hour Surcharge or Excess Hours.

  1. The bill requires UF to add a surcharge to each credit hour taken in excess of a percentage of the total number of credit hours required to complete your degree (known as the threshold percentage).
    1. For students who entered UF as an undergraduate in Fall 2012 or later, the Threshold Percentage is 110% of the minimum hours required for the degree. If your degree requires 120 minimum credit hours, you will reach your Excess Hours Limit when you have accumulated 132 credit hours of applicable credits. If your degree requires more minimum hours for the degree, your Limit will be 110% of the minimum hours required for that degree.
    2. The surcharge is 100% of the tuition rate (not including fees) for each credit hour above the limit. To know the exact cost, you would need to contact the Bursar’s Office.
    3. Effective July 1st, 2018, non-transfer students that graduate within four years of their initial enrollment at UF and incur excess hours surcharges will have up to 12 credits of their surcharge refunded after graduation. If applicable, this refund will occur at the beginning of the next term after drop/add.
  2. Which credits count toward the limit?
    1. Essentially ALL credits taken at any college or university after you complete high school. This includes courses you drop after drop/add, courses you fail, withdrawals, repeats of courses and transfer credit earned at another institution.
  3. Which credits DO NOT count toward the limit?
    1. All credits taken prior to high school graduation (e.g., AICE, AP, IB or dual enrollment).
    2. Credits withdrawn from due to medical or personal hardship (documentation will be required).
    3. Credits required for a certificate program.
    4. Credits taken by active-duty military personnel or military science courses taken for an ROTC program.
    5. Credits required for a dual major pursuing a baccalaureate degree (as long as the second major/degree is completed).
    6. Remedial and ESL credits.
    7. Credits earned through internships.
  4. 4. How do I know where I stand with Excess Hours? Every student can see their Excess Hours standing on on the Excess Hours ‘card’ (see sample below). The summary includes shows a summary at the top with:
    1. (Minimum) Hours Required for Major (Degree) (e.g., 120, 124, 128),
    2. Excess Hours Limit (e.g., 110% of minimum hours),
    3. Total Accumulated Toward Limit, and
    4. Hours Remaining Until Excess Hours Surcharge.

    Review your remaining degree requirements in your Degree Audit and total the credits needed. If that total is less than your Hours Remaining Until Excess Hours Surcharge, you should not have to pay Excess Hours surcharges unless you take extra elective credits that put you over the limit. If your total is more than your Hours Remaining Until Excess Hours Surcharge, you will pay the surcharge on the credits above the limit. If you graduate within four years of your initial enrollment at UF and incur excess hours surcharges, you will have up to 12 credits of their surcharge refunded after graduation.

    Excess Hours
    Meet with an advisor if you are unsure of your excess hours status.
  5. Students who wish to pursue a double major or dual degree should meet with an advisor to discuss how it may impact their Excess Hours. How it will actually impact Excess Hours will be clear once you are approved for a double major or dual degree.
  6. 6. UF sends students several notifications about Excess Hours, both at the beginning of their enrollment and later as they approach their limit.
  7. More information is available at